Sunday, December 19, 2010

Homemade Goodies

I don't have pictures, but Steve & I are still experimenting with homemade goodies - yogurt, mozarella, mascarpone (Italian "cream cheese"), etc.  Our go-to expertise source has been this website - so many things to try!  My favorite, by far, has been the mascarpone (recipe found here).  Mascarpone is the dreamier, creamier, tastier, smoother, yummier version of cream cheese (in my humble opinion).  And it's not cheap.  I think I can find an 8-oz tub in the grocery store for approximately $7-8.  You can use it as you would cream cheese, including cheesecake (yum yum YUM); be sure to find a recipe for mascarpone cheesecake, as I'm sure it has a different liquid/protein/fat content which might change the way it reacts when baking.  I've used a Giada de Laurentis recipe with great success.

And yes, we made homemade mascarpone.  With 16-oz half-and-half, 16-oz heavy whipping cream, & 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, we created an almost identical mascarpone to the store-bought version.  I have yet to use it in cheesecake, but I did use it in a cream cheese frosting & it was DE.LIC.IOUS.  The recipe is super easy & I highly recommend giving it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment