Saturday, October 23, 2010

Homemade yogurt

Homemade yogurt?  Ummm, really?

You betcha!

Hell, we have chickens & we spent a summer gardening & canning our fresh goods.  Next step is to move onto some acreage & add a milk cow to our family.  Ha!  We've joked about it...but we've actually taken the thought into consideration.  :)  (Cue eye roll from our families)  We're serious about wanting to find a quiet piece of property - to build our dream home & have our own sanctuary away from the hustle of everyday life.  Idyllic?  Absolutely.  Possible?  With hard work.  (It's a very distant future dream.)  And a milk cow named Bessie to add the whole fam damily?  I think I hear "Farmer in the Dell" playing in the background somewhere...  :)

But I digress...  The homemade yogurt adventure started with three things:
1. The price of Greek yogurt (oh-my-expensive!).  I fell in love with Greek yogurt recently & it's a love affair that does not appear to be fading anytime soon.  I was intrigued by the health benefits (super low in sugar, high in protein, & au natural), took a taste, & decided my sugar-filled, fake tasting yogurt days were over.  (Goodness, I sound so very elitist)
2. We love making the food we eat.  Part of that stems from the life-altering Food, Inc.  Oy vey.  It will change the way you think about food.
3. We purchased an ice cream maker (YES!) & would like to try some frozen yogurt - what better than using our own homemade yogurt for homemade frozen yogurt?

We checked out a few recipes & found it's not really that hard.
 Step 1: Freshly opened starter.  This little cup o' goodness provides the necessary friendly bacteria to create yogurt.  We used 0% Greek yogurt.  The 6 oz container cost $1.50.  ON SALE.  Yikes.
 Step 2.  Scald milk.  I had no idea what recipes meant when they said "scald milk," but now I'm well-versed in scalding milk.  Basically, it means heating it to high temperatures w/out burning (constant stirring!) or letting it boil (messy messy).

The rest of the steps we didn't take pictures.  FAIL.

Step 3: Cool scalded milk & add starter.  Milk must be cooled so that it doesn't kill the happy little starter bacteria.  On the same end, the mixture can't get too cool or else the little bacteria guys can't get hot & happy & go to work.

Step 4: Pour scalded milk/starter mixture into sanitized jars.  We used 1-cup jars - our recipe made 8 jars (with a bit leftover).  We used 1/2 gallon skim milk & 1 cup starter.  For approximately $4, we made 8 cups of yogurt.  You do the math.

Step 5: Put jars in a cooler & fill cooler with warm water (don't fill above jar lids).  The warm water keeps the cooler warm internally to avoid cooling too much & negating all the hard work of the bacteria.  Some people have yogurt makers - the only thing a yogurt maker does is keep the yogurt at a warm & steady temp to cure.    The overeager newbies that we are, we covered our cooler with a few layers of blankets to keep it warm overnight.
In the morning, we popped the jar & much to our surprise, had wonderful, delicate, light, tasty homemade yogurt!  We'll experiment a bit more (adding powdered milk can assist in making a thicker yogurt, using a higher percent-fat milk, such as 1 or 2%, can also alter the consistency), but we're very happy with our first trial.

8 comments:

  1. Nicely done team! I'm going to start referring to your household as the Martha Stewart of Wyoming. ;) Hahahaha - just kidding, I'm quite impressed with the yogurt making. And the canning, for that matter!

    I'm also a big fan of the buy property and build a house idea - as long as it's big enough so we can all come visit!! ;)

    Hope you both are well,

    -- lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got an "I know right!" from Lindsay about making yogurt (which is a good thing). Next step convincing her we need goats! Love the butcher block, 'bessie' talk, and yogurt. You all rule...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, Danny. We are NOT getting goats. I don't know how you've somehow misinterpreted "cool yogurt project" to mean "we can purchase goats" but .... it's not going to happen. And since when did we jump from chickens to goats? :)

    -- linds

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo impressed! Is this the same girl that said she didn't want to cook, she wanted to make enough money to hire the cook? It looks yummy and I'm more than thrilled you and Steve are doing all this, I will love to meet "Bessie" when that day arrives.
    Mama L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, Lindsay, don't you think Quintus would LOOOOOOVE a goat friend?? We talked about a goat. Smaller than Bessie. Smaller is good. BUT, I've done some reading on goats (oh my, yes, I've read about goats) - and apparently they are a pain in the ass. Who knew?? They MUST have a goat friend or they get bored & destroy. They also climb over EVERYTHING. Including cars. If I ever came home to find a goat climbing on my car, little milk goat would find itself instantly homeless. Cows are big, but they don't climb. And I've read (through Pioneer Woman!), that a milk cow can actually be a sweet animal. Again, who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I love the fact that you two just had a conversation on our blog. Hilarious. By chance were you sitting next to each other on the couch, both on your laptops?? That's what Steve & I usually look like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh mom, I know! I can't count the number of times I've caught myself in the backyard, taking care of the chickens & thinking, "whoa! Ten years ago I was sure I'd be a CEO & living in the big city with a personal chef & housekeeper." It's even more bizarre as I eat homemade yogurt with homemade chokecherry jelly & a piece of homemade bread made with our chicken's eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No eye roll from the parents; after all, we were the ones who showed you the benefits of living in peace and quite out of town. I'll start looking for cheese recipes! Love, Papa

    ReplyDelete