Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The First Week


Well I'm on to my third week now as assistant brewer at Black Tooth Brewery. I have to say I enjoy it more than I did my desk job. The atmosphere and the pace is easy and enjoyable. Though I have a long way to go to become a master brewer, I am getting familiar with the down and dirty work of a brewery and learning more every day. Below are a few pictures from my first week. (Not shown: the keg washer. I have spent many hours with the piece of machinery, and I have a feeling we're going to see much more of each other)

Pretty new tanks all in a row! I pulled all the protective coating off these tanks the first morning on the job.  I doesn't seem like it'd be too bad, but they are crammed in against the freezer wall forcing me to think like a contortionist.

20 gallon buckets of tired yeast pulled off the bottom of the fermentors
 
Milling grains for a 640 gallon batch of Amber.  The white pipe has an auger in it the carries the cracked barley to the brewhouse

Filling kegs in the walk-in-cooler from a different 640 gallon batch of Amber.  This is a time consuming (and cold) process.  Notice the lovely yellow pallet-jack.  I have become quite proficient with this thing, and this week I learn to run a forklift :) !!!

All in all, the job doesn't suck!

No comments:

Post a Comment