Sunday, February 13, 2011

Foam rolling hurts & argyle compression socks are cool

Marathon training has been proceeding swimmingly well (knock on wood!).  Many factors have changed since my first (disastrous) marathon attempt in 2008, but most important is experience.  I've lived & learned quite a bit in almost 4 years of running & racing - first race was a half-marathon in 2007 - & a lot of that knowledge has materialized through trial & error.

Recently, I've become intrigued with foam rollers & compression socks.  Foam rollers are best described as a torture tool for the non-compliant stretcher.  *Ahem*  (Guilty)  They're an innocent-looking log of dense foam.  And you roll around with it in the floor (naughty!).  Side effects include much swearing-like-a-sailor, grimaced faces, & very deep-tissue-massaged muscles.  It's a love/hate relationship.  See here for demonstrations.

I became the most recent victim of the Running Demons & before I knew it, my credit card was being charged $15 & I was holding my very own yellow foam roller.  The UPS guy delivered it approximately 15 minutes before we bolted out of the house on Friday night for a beer at the brewery.  Somehow still possessed by the Running Demons, upon returning from the brewery, my bravery kicked in (or perhaps the delicious beer?) & I attempted foam rolling.

 Love the striped pajama pants?  Don't worry, I didn't wear them to the brewery.
 We have three dogs that seem to think our furniture is their furniture, so we have to put random objects on the couches to keep them off.
 This is me slowly collapsing in pain from rolling my IT band.  Apparently that's one spot that I don't stretch because it HURT.  In an oh-so-good hurt.
 Steve was enjoying documenting this.
Either I'm laughing or crying.  Probably both.

I have yet to try the foam roller again.  It's on the kitchen table, taunting me as we speak.  My IT band is still angry with me.

Please excuse the dirty camera lens.

The next item in my new running toys was a pair of compression socks.  Read Peter Sagal's description here. And yes, that's Peter Sagal of NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.  I was intrigued - a sock that could potentially keep my legs feeling fresher during long grueling runs & make recovery less painful?  Sign me up.  After another $35 charged to my credit card (compression socks aren't cheap - this pair was on sale, most run between $40-60 per pair), I was ready to take them for a test run.

It's the latest fashion, wearing compression socks under your capris.  All the cool kids are doing it.  Even cooler is the argyle pattern.  (Probably why they were on sale)

Steve & I went for a 15-mile run yesterday & these socks kept me looking fashionable the entire run.  The first few miles were interesting - as the name says it all, these bad boys compress your calf muscles - and my calf muscles felt slightly cramped.  Think girdle for your legs.  Left leg eventually warmed up & I didn't notice the sock, but my stronger right calf muscle was more stubborn & took a bit longer to warm up.  The tightness was not enough that I had to stop & stretch, so I kept moving.

The biggest difference I noticed was toward the end of the run.  After 10 miles, anytime we stopped (usually to eat & walk, sometimes for a potty break in the bushes), starting back up was not a problem.  Usually the opposite occurs - we stop running for a quick break & the farther into the run, the more difficult time my legs have getting back into a groove.  These socks prevented that - they kept my legs feeling refreshed & gave me the ability to kick it in at the very end.

Much less torturous than the foam log.

1 comment:

  1. That foam roller sounds intriguing! Have you used it again? Have you noticed any difference after using it? Do you think it was worth the purchase?! :)

    -- linds

    ReplyDelete