Thursday, April 26, 2012

Shed Hunting

Shed Hunting.  Huh?  If you're not ingrained in the hunting world, "shed hunting" may be obscure terminology.  It's basically a big kid Easter egg hunt.  So, every year, certain animals (deer, elk, moose, etc) grow antlers - and (typically) every year, they shed those antlers.  Read about it here.  Antlers are often used in decor or craft - an unadulterated antler (or pair, if you are so lucky) are pretty cool (if it's your style).  Some people take it seriously & turn their sheds into crafts to sell, others, such as ourselves, just enjoy the look & beauty (not to mention the time spent outdoors).  In some areas, shed hunting is limited to certain times of year; the best time to find the sheds is late winter/early spring but at that point, the animals are at their weakest & if pushed too hard (scared by human intrusion, often running them into less vegetative areas of the mountain), can damage the health of the herd.
Recently, the Sheridan Community Land Trust put together an event for its members - a morning of shed hunting on private ranch known to be a corridor for elk.  One of the issues in Wyoming (from our perspective) is the enormous private ranches that surround the base of the mountains & prevent easy access to trails (NON-motorized...Wyoming already has damn near enough motorized trails).  The SCLT is working with ranch owners toward a future of conservation & easements to bring outdoors to all.

The mountains in the background are the Big Horn Mountains & the Horseshoe Ranch includes pretty much all the rolling hills at the base you see below:
I'm on top of one of the hills surrounding the ranch that, yes, is part of their property.

First shed find!  Not huge, but it's in great condition (no points broken or chewed off) & brown, which indicates a recent drop (as opposed to a weathered antler that is white in color).
 Hmm, wonder which critter uses this cool rock for a nice winter home?  I didn't get my face too close to the hole because I didn't want to find out the unfortunate way.
Wildflowers are very slowly starting to peak their pretty faces out in some lower elevation areas:

 Lupine are one of my favorites:

We had a wonderful time hiking all over the gorgeous ranch & managed to find three sheds.  They do not lease their land to cattle, which is a nice change for once.  (Nothing against cattle but many places over-graze, leading to poor environment & ruined landscape.)  This particular ranch specializes in horses, many of which were wandering the place.  We guessed a few might still be wild - at one point, a small herd (five or six) stampeded toward me as I watched in mild fascination & slight concern ("Cool!  Pretty horses coming my way!  Hm, they're heading right for me.  They aren't slowing down.  Maybe I should do something?  Nah.  Look how pretty they are!").  Horses aren't predators so I was certain I wasn't in any danger, but when they circled me I felt like I was in a horse version of "West Side Story."  I think they were curious.  And maybe hoping I had snacks.  (I, too, stampede when I think snacks are involved)  Steve made his way closer & used a recently found elk shed to wave in the air - they were very skittish, but more so curious.

Spending time in a place like the Horseshoe Ranch is bittersweet, at least for myself.  Steve & I will never be able to afford a place like that, no matter how much we wish it in our hearts.  It's amazing to be able to enjoy it but it's a humbling reminder of certain things in life.  We'll continue to feel blessed by what we have & some day, SOME day, we'll have a few acres that we can call our own.  And raise a milk cow named Bessie.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for teaching us about shed hunting. Nice pics! Papa

    ReplyDelete