Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'scream! You'scream! We all scream for ice cream!

If the world were ending & I was only allowed one thing to eat for my last day(s), it would be ice cream.  And cake.  And cookies.  And custard.

Can I just have "dessert" for my last day?

Now that we have an ice cream maker...and four hens that make eggs...what better to use up eggs than make ice cream?  The good kind.  The custard kind.  Early in my ice cream making days, I read the creamiest ice creams have a higher fat content because of all things physics and science that I don't understand.  Something to do with ice crystals & their inability to form in fat.  Is that why my layer of blubber keeps me warm in the winter?  Because ice crystals can't form?  Why didn't someone tell me I had to be a Rocket Surgeon to understand the delicate inner-workings of ice cream??

Last night, I made the most amazing ice cream I have ever tried.  It's a simple vanilla bean ice cream that can easily be used as a base for other flavors.

See recipe here.

It's still creamy, even after being in the freezer overnight.  I know because after lunch, I had a small scoop.  Or two.  Or five.

Who's counting?

I did make a small minor adjustment.  I didn't have 3 cups of heavy cream, so I used what I had - which is the one-pint container (equivalent of two cups, for those of you that reject the Metric system).  I adjusted my half-and-half to 2 cups & used 7 eggs.  Ahhhhhhmazing.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! You know, I've slowly been weaning myself off ice cream, but I have to admit that plane old vanilla bean ice cream is still something that gets me excited. Yay for ice cream makers!

    -- linds

    ReplyDelete